In
September of 1855, under Mayor Lucas Rallis, the construction of
a “Maiden School” was announced. The plan would be financed with
a donation of 20.000 drachmas. The City Council of Piraeus
accepted unanimously the unknown donor's funding, and also his
terms:
1.
The school should remain a "Girls" school for good.
2.
A marble statue of Adamantios Koraes should be placed inside the
school.
3.
Above the entrance of the building a marble plate should be
placed with an inscription on it, as follows: "Maiden School
founded at the expense of (vacant) under Mayor Loucas Rallis,
1885".
4.
In case of violation of the donation's terms , the donation
would be cancelled and all the rights should be transferred to
heirs.
The school was perfectly located at the crossroads of the
central Peiraeus, on the corner of Polytechniou and King George
streets.
In
1856 the construction started but it was far from completion,
since the money was not enough. The donor eventually made his
identity known. It was Iakovos Rallis, the mayor's relative, a
resident of Constantinople (Istanbul) . He would grant another
10.000 drachmas for the completion of the work. The City Council
accepted the offer again.
In
1919 the municipality funded "Ralleios Teachers" Traiming
College shared lodgings with the school. In 1939 the school was
renamed as: "Ralleios High School for Girls" and "Ralleios
Teachers Training College". Then the municipality was released
from its obligation to maintain both of them. In1968, under
Mayor Skylitsis, the ownership of the building was called into
question.
In
December 1971 a consultation was held under the chairmanship of
Pattakos (one of the dictators of the Greek junta), which
resulted in the decision that the school should move from its
natural place of origin. In the same year, Ralleios Teachers'
Training College was closed down, through a legislative degree,
and its property was passed to "Ralleios High School for Girls"
by right.
On
November 22, 1972 the school was temporarily hosted by
Ionnideios School, because of the unsuitability of its building.
On March 31, 1973 the school returned to its original place
again. Since 1973 the struggle for the Ralleios' housing in
Koraes Square has been keeping up without any success, for all
that.
Meanwhile, the building in Kolokotronis st. was considered as
unsuitable and after a great many and continuous struggles on
the part of the Parents' Association, principals as well as the
students, the school was relocated in the skyscraper in 2-4 Akti
Poseidonos from 1996 to 2005 when it moved to
another building, in Karaiskou str, 147.
Meanwhile, in 2009 the new building of
Gymnasium and Lykeion Schools was under construction in an area
among Lambrakis, Piraeus, Eponiton, Phokaeas and Sarantaporou
Streets.
On May 5, 2014 after a great many delays- the
contractor of the building plan had been replaced- the
inauguration ceremony took place by Minister of Education Mr. K.
Arvanitopoulos.
On March of 2016 - 45 years after school’s
removal from its historical place in Koraes Square- the new
cluster of buildings determined to house both Gymnasium and
Lykeion was taken over. Since March 21, 2016 the Gymnasium is in
operation in Eponiton Street.
|