The old Piraeus
the Middle Ages, Piraeus was under the name of "Porto Leone" from the
marble lion in the mouth of the harbour. In 1687 the lion was removed
to Venice by the Venetian admiral Morozini.
the first year of the Greek Independence Revolution of 1821, Piraeus
is on decline since its only inhabitants are ten monks, one trader,
two guards and a customs inspector. In 1832, however, there were only
twelve shacks in the area.
Athenians and other travellers made approaches to Piraeus on horseback
but transported their luggage on camels.
rapid development of the port started mainly after the liberation of
Greece (from the Turkish yoke) and the transference of the capital
from Naples to Athens. Its residents came up to 50,000 in 1895. Within
few years Piraeus developed ito the first port of the country, and in
particular, it became internationally famous.
famous statue of the guardian lion of the port of Piraeus
most significant port in Greece lies at Saronic Golf in the
south-west of Attica and is within 9.300m distance of Athens
joined virtually to the capital and being its haven. It has got a
seat of municipality being established in 1964. The port of
Piraeus extends from New Phaleron to Perama, including
two smaller natural harbours of Munichia (Mikrolimano), Zea
and the great commercial harbour. Besides, Piraeus is one
of the most important commercial and industrial hubs
in Greece. Almost all the industrial branches have
developed like iron metallurgy , chemical industry ,
foodstuffs , building materials , tobacco industry ,
electrical and mechanical engineering industries , tannery ,
oil -and textile- mills , power plant , shipyards and many
others of light industry. There also sit shipping
agents and ship-owners’ offices.
The commercial and
passenger port of Pireaus
the chief port of Greece and the biggest in the eastern Mediterranean,
it has got a remarkable transport. Along with Athens it is the
shipping and railway lines terminal abroad and to the mainland and
insular Greece , as well. Electric railway links the capital to its
haven. Most of import and export trade is carried out here. The port
of Piraeus is equipped with all the state-of-the art facilities. The
Port of Piraeus Authority has been assigned the task to organize the
port since 1930 , as a legal entity , aiming at the best structural
running and maintenance of the port . The population of the city comes
up to 300.000 and along with the suburbs to 1.000.000. With its well
laid-out streets, good-looking squares and gorgeous buildings, the
city has acquired a modern European look.
PIRAEUS AND CULTURE
Piraeus abounds with treasures able to satisfy even the most
demanding visitor. With its remarkable sightseeing incites every
tourist to discover the civilisation concerning Piraeus and Greece
generally, whose history covers more than forty centuries.
Besides, there exist monuments from antiquity, museums, artefacts,
which altogether are a credit to the city itself. Public
libraries, galleries as well as a large number of neoclassical
buildings, which managed to outlive, constitute living treasures.
In the Archaeological Museum the sculptures mainly refer to
Piraeus and the general district of Attica. There is also the
Marine Museum whose large number of considerable exhibits relate
to the sea and various types of vessel. Finally, museums such as "Averof"
and "Panos Aravantinos" are of great interest.
The Theater of our city
PIRAEUS OF ATHLETICS AND SPORTS
Piraeus presents a high activity in sports. These days, only in
the area of the Municipality there exist twenty six football
teams, eight sailing clubs and many others like volley-ball,
swimming, water-polo as well as track and field sports.
Peace and Friendship
founded in 1925, is the legend of the city. With its
championships, twenty cups and many others, it has been the most